We’re hiring: Online Community and Events Officer
- 9th December 2020
- Posted by: Nyle Lennon
- Category: EARMA News
We are looking for an enthusiastic Online Community and Events Officer. We are rolling out a large offering of online activities and a platform to engage members. This will involve a new website, new members’ area and new online event software. We need a new colleague to help create, support and deliver these events. You will be working in a team that brings online activities from idea to reality. You will harvest the input from the content lead, see what preparation is needed, plan and deliver the events. You will develop a standard way of working to gradually facilitate the hosting of a large number of events. You will also be in charge of a networking space on the platform for EARMA members to meet virtually.
You will become part of a six-person team based in Leuven (Belgium). During the pandemic all team members work from home. However, as soon the situation normalises, working at the office on most days will be the standard although there will also be the option to work from home one or two days per week. Since you will be working from home for the foreseeable future, you must have a space where you can work in a professional manner with minimal noise interference and with a stable broadband direct cable internet connection. By mutual agreement EARMA will provide the IT equipment needed for the job.
You are able to handle time pressure, deadlines and implement last-minute changes when needed. Nevertheless you seek to avoid these scenarios by proper planning ahead. You will report directly to the EARMA Managing Director and work closely together with the Communications Officer and Administrative/Financial Officer.
EARMA will start organising in person events when the current situation stabilises. We host about 12 in-person events per year. While in-person events are not currently included in the job description, this may change when the COVID situation normalises. Therefore if you have previous experience in managing real-life events this will be an advantage.
This is a full-time position, although an 80% position is a possibility. EARMA seeks to offer a good work-life balance to its employees and work schedule options can be discussed. The contract type is one of indefinite duration.
The expected starting date for this position is as soon as possible in 2021. This is a new position.
EARMA is the European Association of Research Managers and Administrators. Our goal is to invest in those people supporting and managing research so they can be as productive and happy as possible. This contributes to scientific research and to society. We are a non-profit organisation under Belgian law with a legal address in Brussels but a factual address in Leuven. Our members are mainly academic (universities and research organisations). We organise an annual conference (> 1000 participants), offer a training programme and other events which are mainly organised in Brussels. We have approximately 170 institutional members (organisations) and 200 ordinary members (persons). EARMA exists for 25 years and has a great reputation in Brussels and around the world. The core of our association is the EARMA members of whom a large number contributes to the association as volunteers.
More information on EARMA:
Brussels Conference 2018: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB8hnypMTmE
Bologna Conference 2019: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xRyAV85oas
EARMA event in Brussels (Nov 2018): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGpVWGpskEM
What you will be doing:
- You will support and/or manage the creation of around 35 online activities per year in a proactive way
- You will manage an online member engagement and networking platform
- You will create a welcoming environment in everything you do, which will excite community members and draws in new ones
- You will engage with the content coordinator and build a plan to create the event, set up the agenda, manage the timeline and host the event (mostly behind the scenes)
- You will liaise with the rest of the EARMA team to plan, communicate and deliver your events and create spaces where our community meets
- You will bring a positive attitude and contribute to maintaining a professional and fun team
- You will be calling, e-mailing and meeting with members from around 40 countries on a daily basis and continuously meet new people to host new events (predominantly but not only European).
- You will handle any extra tasks needed to successfully deliver the events and community engagement and support your colleagues
Communications, marketing, social media and handling of invoices or administrative follow up are not part of this job. It is also important to realise that the main decisions on series of activities and community engagement are made the Managing Director following the directions set by the EARMA Board.
- You have very strong written and spoken command of the English language (C2 level).
- You are up for a challenge and get energy from meeting (new) people
- You have at least 4 years of experience within creating and hosting (online) events (setting up registration, planning, preparation, briefing speakers, engaging with stakeholders and sponsors, etc)
- You are experienced in using online meeting and events platforms or have relevant adjacent experience and are motived to learn how to work with these platforms as the host and specialist
- A bachelor or master degree or equivalent in experience
- You are experienced in building professional relationships of trust
- An added value would be if you have experience with the academic sector and specifically with university administrations or research project management (desirable not mandatory)
- A challenging job in a professional, fun and ambitious team in an international environment
- 28 days of annual leave and a closure between Christmas and New Year which includes holidays that happened during the weekends (20 days of annual leave in the first year for people not having worked in Belgium the previous year)
- 2.100-2.500 euro gross salary per month based on experience and expertise. This may be extended a bit for people with 10 + years of directly relevant experience and expertise.
- Meal voucher (maaltijdcheques/ chèque repas) for the maximum legal amount (approx. 160 euro for a full month)
- An additional health and hospital insurance (DKV Premium Pro and AZ)
- Public transportation from home to work (starting from when we reopen the office)
- Laptop, phone and phone subscription
- A home office compensation in line with the maximum sector and legal standard (129,48 euro per month)
- A place to belong, learn and enjoy while your professional journey unfolds with attention for your work life balance
EARMA invites all applicants fitting the profile and is committed to inclusiveness and diversity.
Please follow these instructions closely when applying. Thttps://www.jobat.be/en/jobs/online-community-and-events-officer/job_1945331he application must be uploaded in a single PDF document including a 1 page letter of motivation and your cv (Max 5 pages all together). The name of the file must include your last/family name. Please disregard any other instruction given by the system regarding your motivation letter. Do not use the message/cover letter facility to send your motivation letter.
Please apply on this website: https://www.jobat.be/en/jobs/online-community-and-events-officer/job_1945331
All communication will be in English except for where we may test your language skills.
Deadline for the first cut off is 6 January at 21:00 CET. After this time we will allow for applications to come in but will start our hiring process.
EARMA will host two or three rounds of interviews. You will be interviewed by 3-5 people.
- First round on Tuesday 12 January (online, Zoom)
- Second round on Thursday 14 January (online, Zoom)
- Third round may be added. This will most likely be online but could be in person depending on the COVID situation.
Enquiries can be made to email@example.com. Applicants are asked to stick mostly to practical questions and to ask content related questions at the interview and in between rounds.
Applicants must be legally allowed to work in Belgium before applying. EARMA will not cover relocation costs for the successful candidate.