Do I have to be an EARMA member to enrol on a qualification?
You don’t need to be an EARMA member in order to register and enrol, however EARMA members will benefit from reduced rates. If you are interested in becoming an EARMA member you can find out more about the member benefits here.
What are the entry requirements?
- The Introduction to Research Administration Workshop is designed for both members of the profession who would like to consolidate their knowledge and newcomers to the field.
- The European Certificate in Research Management is designed for individuals with at least four years of experience in RMA, gained in several of the areas covered by the units.
- The Leaders in Research Management programme is designed for heads of research offices, or similar, who want to gain formal training in, and recognition of, research leadership skills.
Which qualification is most relevant to me?
- The Introduction to Research Administration Workshop is aimed primarily at research administrators working in an operational role and looking to expand their knowledge and expertise across the research project life-cycle.
- The Certificate in Research Management is designed for colleagues with at least four years of experience in research management and administration, gained in several of the areas covered by the Certificate Units, who want to demonstrate their strategic and operational management knowledge, skills and expertise across multiple research projects.
- The Leaders in Research Management programme is designed for senior research managers, Heads of Office and Directors of Research who wish to demonstrate their professional credentials as dynamic, creative and innovative leaders of complex, institutional research portfolios.
Is the Certificate in Research Management qualification recognised?
Yes. The qualification is compatible with the European Qualifications Framework and endorsed by Ofqual (http://ofqual.gov.uk/how-we-regulate/) which maintains standards and confidence in qualifications. The certificate is awarded in association with the ATHE (Awards for Training and Higher Education http://atheuk.com) specialising in management qualifications and regulated through the Qualifications and Credit framework (QCF) through Europe. The Certificate in Research Management (Europe) is equivalent to the European qualifications framework level 5.
When will the course commence?
- The Certificate in Research Management course started in November 2014.
- The Introduction to Research Administration Workshop is commencing in 2018.
- The Leaders in Research Management programme started in 2016 and holds a yearly event along side the EARMA Annual Conference.
Where are the qualifications taught?
The focus is on self-guided learning and assessment through work-based portfolios and submission of written work based on personal experience and research. There is a requirement to undertake formal learning through EARMA workshops and contact time with a Professional Mentor. Workshops will be held either in Brussels, Belgium, or at the same location as the EARMA conference as pre or post conference workshop events.
Are the Workshops mandatory?
For the Certificate in Research Management students are expected to attend the EARMA workshops.
I am interested in attending one or two workshops only? Is it possible to sign up for only those?
It is possible to register for one or two workshops only, provided there are places available on the qualification cohort.
Who should I ask to be my Professional Mentor?
Students will be required to identify an individual willing to act in the capacity of Professional Mentor. Your Professional Mentor is ideally a research manager and administrator, preferably in a university. It could be someone from your own institution or a different institution, and should be someone who is not normally your line manager.
When do I have to submit my work for assessment?
Submissions for assessment are taken twice a year in March and September.
How can I register?
Please visit our Registration page where you can find the necessary information.
I have some questions, how can I contact EARMA?
Should you have any queries or need assistance please do not hesitate to contact the Professional Development Program Administrator via firstname.lastname@example.org.